Stuffed Zucchini Sausage Boats
- 4 medium Zucchinis
- 1 tablespoon coconut oil or unsalted butter
- 1 medium onion, diced
- 1 red bell pepper, cored, seeded and diced
- 1 lbs. ground beef
- 2 large eggs
- 1 teaspoon garlic powder
- 1 teaspoon onion, powder
- 1 teaspoon of sea-salt
- 1 teaspoon freshly ground black pepper
- 1 teaspoon dried basil
- 1 teaspoon dried thyme
- Cheddar Cheese (optional)
- Cup of sour cream for garnish
- Preheat the oven to 375 degrees Fahrenheit.
- Bring a large pot of water to boil. Place the whole zucchinis into it and boil until somewhat tender when pierced with a fork, about 10 minutes.
- Heat the coconut oil or unsalted butter in a large skillet over medium-high heat and cook the onion and bell pepper. After the veggies, have cooked for about 5 minutes and start to soften, season with a pinch of sea-salt, approximately 1⁄8 teaspoon. Stir and take them out of the skillet and into the bowl, then add the beef to brown, breaking it up as it cooks, for another 5 to 7 minutes or until browned through. Remove from the heat and add the meat in the bowl with the onion and bell pepper.
- Once the zucchinis are cooked and cool enough to handle, cut in half lengthwise and scoop out the seeds and some of the flesh to leave an inch-thick shell.
- In a large bowl, combine: veggie, meat mixture and scooped out zucchini seeds and flesh together, season with salt to taste, ground black pepper and herbs, mix it. Add the eggs and mix it all very well again. Stuff equal portions of the mixture into the zucchini boats. Top each with a cheese, if using.
- Bake for 25 to 30 minute, until well heated and the cheese starts to bubble.
- Garnish with a dollop of sour cream if you wish and serve hot.
Recommended Products for this Dish